Welcome to Brown on the Towne, the illegitimate, bastard brain child of two friends who enjoy their eats and surroundings. We are Homer and Jordan. Our mission is to document our experience of ethnic eateries in the Omaha area. We do not claim to be politically, mathematically or chemically correct.

Leave us a comment or email us at brownonthetowne@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Sakura Bana



  • Gobackability-- Sparingly...delicious but expensive


  • Service -- Love the hot towels!


  • Food-- 明 珠 強 兵


  • Browness--Shiba Brown







Sakura Bana,

7425 Dodge Street Omaha, NE 68114

(402) 391-5047

Japanese


Jordan: Dude, feeling good from all the love we've been getting...

Homer: Thanks to everyone who sent us comments and such. It makes me want to go on for another day!

Jordan: Just one.....but.....if you leave us comments, suggestions and pictures of cool things, Homer may go on for two more days.

Homer: All the extra time would be appreciated. Sakura Bana

Jordan: Konichiwa!!!!!!!!

Homer: How would that be in Japanese characters?

Jordan: 今日 は

Homer: How elegant! I didn't know you wrote/spoke Japanese!!!

Jordan: I surprise myself sometimes. For those of you unaware, Sakura Bana was formerly called Sushi Ichiban and was formerly housed in a former IHOP building on 84th and Dodge. I'm still deciding if I like the new location or not.... the old place had a good thing going on...

Homer: Sushi Ichiban means, “Fluffy Squatting Dog,“ in Japanese. I guess I understand why they had to move. Regardless, the new place is...well...new. It feels new, it looks new, but from what I can remember, the taste is old school.

Jordan: Word. Old School like Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

Homer: Ahh yes..good old Grandmaster....(?) For starters. We ordered some sushi. I was curious as to what a hand roll is. So I got a California hand roll. I like to speak in short broken sentences.....

Jordan: California hand roll... sounds dirty...

Homer: It was dirty. It was so dirty I stuffed it all into my mouth....ok but seriously. A hand roll is like a delicious sushi ice cream cone. If sushi is chicken nuggets, a hand roll is a chicken breast. Delicious.

Jordan: We also got some spicy tuna sushi and sea urchin. I don't know about yous, but sea urchin almost has some sort of forbidden allure to it. Maybe it's just from watching too many old Iron Chef episodes. I can imagine a Japanese Soap star reminiscing of how the delicate flavors remind her of her childhood...

Homer: What is it with the sexual innuendos today? Anyway, yes I agree. But I was never mystified by battle sea urchin, just disgusted...I mean come on, sea urchin ice cream. Sea urchin is one of those things you have to put in your mouth to really experience. Like pop rocks. Or a "cement mixer." I am on the fence....

Jordan: For those of you wondering, the sea urchin was actually quite creamy. Salty too...Definitely not what I expected.

Homer: Are we done talking about sea urchin? This is making me uncomfortable.

Jordan: I ordered the lunch box special, the obento. Bento is basically an entire meal served in a compartmentalized box. Mine had tempura shrimp, pork teriyaki, rice, salad with carrot ginger dressing... love carrot ginger dressing... If you're looking for a little of everything, bento is the way to go.

Homer: I heard "lunch box" and was steered away from that direction. I have too many memories of plain bologna sandwiches and pop rocks to go for something called a lunch box. But when it came, it did look very tasty. I had the Champon. I was looking for a noodle dish, something peasanty and filling. That is exactly what I got. Noodles, chicken, fish ball, an egg and vegetables all in a delicious broth. And the mushrooms were intense. Definitely not expecting the intensity of the mushroom.

Jordan: Were they "firecracker up your ass" intense??

Homer: No, they were more like eating dirt intense. But in a good way. I don't mean to make this comparison, but it was like eating Ramen Noodles on steroids. Please don't take that the wrong way. I love Ramen Noodles. These were just a better version.

Jordan: I enjoyed my food quite a bit. Tempura shrimp is one of my all time favorite foods (readers, make a note of this). The crisp outside and the warm, savory shrimp inside... the delicate... flavors... remind me of... snowflakes.. from... my... childhood.

Homer: OH YEAH!! I had a taste memory too! I forgot about that! But now I can't remember what it was about.....

Jordan: The strawberry mochi ice cream!!!! More specifically the gummy shell.

Homer: Hell yeah. The strawberry mochi ice cream (SMIC) reminded me of running out to my grandma’s street and buying those ice cream things that came in the shape of cartoon characters.

Jordan: Ahh taste memories...

Homer: I had the green tea ice cream (GTIC) for dessert. Interesting....

Jordan: It looked like a mound of wasabi in a dish.

Homer: That would be a funny prank to play on someone. Freeze a mound of wasabi and serve it as ice cream...I am now on the lookout for green mounds of frozen things… It was good. Very subtle. Very elegant. More of a dessert, and less of an ice cream. Light and refreshing

I have a complaint about this restaurant. They did not give me a damn fortune cookie. What, Japanese people think they are so good that they do not need to fill a cookie with a paper of destiny? What is going on with that?

Jordan: I think they're still pissed about the bomb.

Homer: I think we are done here. E-mail your comments and questions and $20 Bills to brownonthetowne@gmail.com

Jordan: Real quick... thanks to all our friends sharing kind words and comments Pam, Laura K., Sgier, Adam, Debbie and our new pal Anthony. Everyone else, you should be as cool.

Homer: For the sweet holiday month of December, we are having our first contest. The rules are as follows. You send us the coolest "thing" in the mail, e-mail or in person, and Brown on the Towne will take you and your closest friend (preferably hot closest friend) to lunch. Brown on the Towne reserves all rights to decide what constitutes “cool.”

Brownonthetowne@gmail.com, or
610 S. 70th St. Omaha, NE 68106.
Good luck and send us something cool!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guys are flipping hilarious! Like Tango and Cash. Jay and Silent Bob. Burt and Ernie. Anyway, I'd like to take a minute just sit right there and I'll tell you how Sakura Bana is the place to be. Wonderful exhilarating restaurant, yet I've only been there one time, but I've gotta get back. Everything Jordan and Homer say is the "TRUTH". Don't delay go now and remember "He Who Eats Alone, Chokes Alone" so bring some friends and share the experience, yet more importantly stay alive. This food is to die for. Puns are intended.