Welcome to Brown on the Towne, the illegitimate, bastard brain child of two friends who enjoy their eats and surroundings. We are Homer and Jordan. Our mission is to document our experience of ethnic eateries in the Omaha area. We do not claim to be politically, mathematically or chemically correct.

Leave us a comment or email us at brownonthetowne@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Cuba Linda

  • Gobackability-- Already have.
  • Service -- Dreamy
  • Food-- Go here. Now.
  • Browness-- Worthy Bronze

Cuba Linda

10841 Q Street Omaha, NE 68137

(402) 592-1214

Cuban



Jordan: : 3... 2... 1... it's Brown On the Towne

Homer: I would like to start this week by saying that the restaurant we patronized is the reason I wanted to do this whole mess in the first place.

Jordan: I think it is also safe to say that this week's restaurant is our first "GO THERE FUCKING NOW!!!!" recommendation.

Homer: Drop everything you are doing (unless it is between the hours of 2:30 and 5:00, because they are closed then). Go. Do it. You have been warned.

Jordan: Do it or we'll put you in Guantanamo....

Homer: What a segway(sp?)!!!!!!

Jordan: The name of the place is Cuba Linda
10841 Q St
Omaha, NE 68137
(402) 592-1214
Originally the plan was to eat at a Cuban restaurant this week... it just so happened that the one we wanted to hit up first was closed.

Homer: The Cuban gods hath smiled upon us!!

Jordan: : Que Suerte!!!! GO THERE FUCKING NOW!!!!

Homer: I walked in, and no one was in this place. Not one person. Ok except the cook and his daughter. She sat me down and flirted and talked while I waited for Jordan.

Jordan: I was definitely on time this week. On my way to the original destination, Homer left a voice mail informing me about the switch of venues. At the time he was enjoying a tasty appetizer... the euphoria in his voice foretold of the sweet, sweet goodness that is Cuba Linda. GO THERE FUCKING NOW!!!!

Homer: First order of business. The Toston. I dislike plantains. I mean, if I wanted to eat a non- sweet banana, I would munch on a mushy potato. That is what they taste like to me. However, what this guy did to these hated fruits was pure magic. Imagine a banana. Now imagine it tasting like a potato. NOW imagine a guy deep frying 5 or 6 slices of this and drizzling them with a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice and chopped garlic. Excuse me , I need a minute...

Jordan: I arrived the moment Homer completed his conquest of the tostones. Across the table Homer sat satisfied. On the table was a barren serving plate with small splotches of ketchup like the blood stains from a murder scene.

Homer: Hold on. I need to explain the ketchup. I have been watching Iron Chef a lot lately. What they do with their food in terms of balance truly mystifies me. I felt like I had been handed a plate from Iron Chef Cuban. He added ketchup to his already magical creation. And guess what? It was better than before. Just the right amount of ketchup. It was strategic ketchup placement.

Jordan: I ordered a plate of tostones as well. The ketchup strategery was artful.

Homer: But enough about the appetizers. We have much to discuss.

Jordan: : For my main course I ordered the Number 1, Pork Fricase with red beans and rice and yuca root.

Homer: In Spanish- Fricase de lechon con gris y yuca.

Jordan: I am still not quite sure how to describe how good it was.... I've been meditating on that for the past couple days.

Homer: No words come to mind. Try describing an orgasm without saying it was an orgasm. Some things just speak for themselves.

Jordan: Well said.

Homer: I ordered the number 2. Lechon con gris y yuca. Now some of you who are paying attention may be saying to yourself, "but they ordered the same thing!!!!" Well, for the most part, you are right. And I don't care. I would say I have experience in certain kinds of foods. Not because I am an expert or anything, but because I have had them quite a bit. And within those specific styles, there is a dish I find is the benchmark of the style. With Mexican, it is Green Chile. With Cuban, it is roast pork. And for the record, the roast pork at Cuba Linda is wonderful.

Jordan: I think the search for the style benchmark, the flagship food, is part of our de facto mission as Brown on the Towne. Not only are we doing the leg work or the mouth work, we hope to educate and guide you, the reader, to the best each place has to offer.

Homer: I have in fact already been back to Cuba Linda in the time since we went and now. That is how good I think this place is.

Jordan: Ha! I was planning to go last night for dinner...

Homer: I could go on and on about the food here, but let me clue you all in to something I find particularly excellent about the food. The sauce. Mojito. Not the rum drink. This sauce is the one I described above on the tostones. Olive Oil, Lemon Juice and chopped garlic. And maybe other secret magic ingredients. Eye of newt? Who knows, but this is where the flavor is at. Order extra and you will not regret it. Now moving on...

Jordan: For desert I ordered coffee. For those who are not informed on the matter, Cuban coffee, specifically the espresso, is something I consider a world class treat. The espresso at Cuba Linda did not disappoint. Cuban-style espresso is made by adding sugar to the container where the espresso will be collected after brewing in the espresso machine. The drink has strength of espresso, but with a smooth, sweet flavor that is unobtainable by simply mixing sugar into a regular espresso. it's awesome.

Homer: The "flan" was much less eggy than I usually have it. A sweet surprise. I really could not have asked for a better lunch.

Jordan: For sure. Gobackability.... seriously, you've already been back and I have been planning to go back. It's only been two days since we've been there....

Homer: Just go. Seriously. Go. Do yourself a favor, bundle up your honey and five of her closest friends and go.

Jordan: Go, not only for the food and experience, but to keep the place afloat so we can go back and enjoy it as often as we choose.

Homer: Agreed.

Jordan: Do it or I will definitely put you in Guantanamo. Service?

Homer: She was dreamy. There when I needed it. Although the second time I went, she was not there, and had I not spoke Spanish, I might have had to resort to pointing to the menu.

Jordan: And of course... Browness???

Homer: You are letting me pass judgment on the browness? What if I screw it up?

Jordan: To me, it feels most appropriate for you to rate the browness for this place. For as good a place as this was, I’m not sure you could screw it up if you tried.

Homer: I choose...Bronze. A worthy color for a worthy restaurant.

Jordan: Alright folks, this has been Brown On The Towne. Happy Turkey Day. Remember: if you have any questions, comments or suggestions, you can use the comment function after each post or e-mail us at brownonthetowne@gmail.com.

Homer: Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

We'll have to go here when I'm in town in December! Sounds good!

Brown on the Towne said...

sgier!!!! totally had drinks with your sister tonight...

Unknown said...

You've convinced me--I'm hitting this joint up when I am in the Big O for Christmas!

Brown on the Towne said...

pam!!! you will totally dig it.

j

Anonymous said...

That Cuban Restaurant was really GOOD!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey did you know that the daughter sings?! She was one of the American Idol contestants and the first to go through from Omaha.

Anonymous said...

Great food still!! Had the empanadas last night and the luscious Cuban sandwich. YUM