Welcome to Brown on the Towne, the illegitimate, bastard brain child of two friends who enjoy their eats and surroundings. We are Homer and Jordan. Our mission is to document our experience of ethnic eateries in the Omaha area. We do not claim to be politically, mathematically or chemically correct.

Leave us a comment or email us at brownonthetowne@gmail.com

Monday, December 17, 2007

Caribbean Delights/Jamaican Jerk

  • Gobackability-- How often does stewed meat sound appetizing?

  • Service -- Personal and friendly

  • Food-- Dangerously appetizing

  • Browness-- Radioactive Yellow

Caribbean Delight/Jamaican Jerk

2304 N. 72nd Street Omaha, NE 68134

(402) 391-1081

Caribbean








Homer: Back with a vengeance...It is Brown on the Towne!

Jordan: In preparation for our victorious return, I ate at Cuba Linda just an hour ago!!!!!

Homer: It is so damn wonderful, it makes me want to cry.

Jordan: So a while back we checked out this place called Caribbean Delights.

Homer: AKA, the Jamaican Jerk.

Jordan: That asshole.

Homer: Seriously, this place is so cool it has two names.

Jordan: Sweet. I got there first and got to chatting with the owner for a few. He was definitely a cool dude and, since I had no previous knowledge of Jamaican food, he gave me a crash course in all the good stuff. Cool guy.

Homer: Hold on. We forgot something very important! This restaurant marks the first special guest appearance in Brown on the Towne history!


Jordan: Oh hell yeah!!!!!!! Let us introduce you to Brown on the Towne Special Guest #1 Peter!













Homer: Don Pedro. The bearded wonder. The sex machine himself. It was an honor and a privilege.

Back to the facts. I walked in on Jordan's conversation with the chef/owner. They were in heated debate about something or other. Probably way too deep for this guy, I do not know, I was not there.

Jordan: We were discussing the correct way to pronounce "Ya Mon!" I was confused about which syllable to stress. Not really. We were talking about his business and I specifically asked him about operating in a mostly conservative town like Omaha.

Homer: And what did he say?

Jordan: He liked the fact that a lot of people here are friendly and patronize his establishment regularly. He wishes that customers were more adventurous and try new things instead of just getting the jerk chicken.

Homer: What an asshole, that chicken. I didn't hear that statement, but it makes what he told me later even funnier. I perused the menu for a while and set my sights on the Oxtail (Stew). When I informed him of my decision, he said, "White people will try anything." I am not sure if he was being sarcastic, or if he meant it. I laughed though. I guess he did not appreciate my level of brown...

Jordan: Sad... Maybe it was the lighting???

Homer: True, the lighting made everything look...well...neon...

Jordan: very festive. What did you think of the oxtail??

Homer: The oxtail was very typical of all the dishes I have eaten at this place. Braised meat, subtle spices, and fall off the bone tender. It was the same for the curried chicken I had before. Braising meat takes a long time, and it takes on a very distinct flavor and texture characteristic. I like it, even more so because seriously, who has time to braise meat these days?

Jordan: Time well spent. When I was talking to the chef/owner earlier he educated me about some of the traditional Jamaican dishes they serve. One he spoke of and I eventually ordered was Ackee and Salted Codfish. Ackee is a fruit native to the West Indies and if not ripened just right it is poisonous.

Homer: No shit. Did you just make that up?

Jordan: No sir. That's the straight truth. I felt like living dangerously that night.

Homer: The oxtail, when not prepared properly, tastes like a cows anus... Your dish makes me sound like a wiener. Straight up frankfurter. A salami even. What does Ackee taste like? Besides death...

Jordan: I am not sure what it tastes like exactly. The fruit in the dish was heavily seasoned and sautéed with onions, garlic and olive oil. In the dish it tasted almost like scrambled eggs.

Homer: Luckily for you, you had some fried dumplings to sop up all that scrambled egg goodness.

Jordan: Very true. These things were monstrous. I could only eat one and they served me three. Two words: Homemade Juices!!!!

Homer: Oh yeah. I forgot about those. You know, lately, my instinct for the amazing is dead on. I was going to order something else, but the homemade fruit punch called to me like a stalker ex-boyfriend.

Jordan: Was your stalker ex-boyfriend as tasty as the homemade fruit punch?

Homer: No. He tasted like pickled herring and gin... This tasted like real fruit juices and spices.

Jordan: Very good stuff. I would even say that the homemade juices get a Brown on the Towne seal of quality and approval.

Homer: At this point, I would like to perform what I shall now dub,
"A rant, By Homer."

Jordan: So be it...

Homer: I too indulged in these so called "dumplings." Mine were not fried; they were a massive cake-like-contraption, with little to no taste. It was like someone had supersized a noodle, shoved it under my oxtails and decided I should eat it. It really did not add anything to my dish, and furthermore, I was under the impression that anything with a cute little name like "dumplings" should be small and cute and mischievous. These were bulky and ugly and totally non mischievous.
Fin.

Jordan: And now…the wonderfully one armed, truly titillating, dastardly democratic, the foodsical stylings of PETE !!!

Pete: Hey guys.

Jordan: What did you think of Caribbean Delights??

Pete: The path of the jerk…goat… in particular… very… cohesive, very… sexy! (Pete’s interview was edited for content and to fit in the time allowed.)

Jordan: Very good. Thanks Pete. Homer, brownness??

Homer: I am going to have to say, radioactive yellow, the same color of Pete’s dish. Is that a form of brown?

Jordan: It is today!

Homer: One final note. Try the cornmeal pudding. It puts the ding back in pudding.

Jordan: Bye friends! Remember to check back for more updates. Leave us comments and suggestions here or send to brownonthetowne@gmail.com. We're still waiting for people to send us cool stuff for the "cool stuff" contest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He liked the fact that a lot of people here are friendly and patronize his establishment regularly.

This sentence made me picture people walking into the restaurant, sarcastically mocking it, and then leaving only to return again the next day (and everyday) to patronize it regularly. I rather enjoyed it. I don't think I am thinking of the proper definition for the word patronize in this context.

Anonymous said...

Awsome place, its near 72nd and blondo. Jerk chicken there is really good, my gf and I are heading back soon to try some more stuff. They actually pay attn to the customer and get them what they want. Also, the music is great IMO too. :) peace