Welcome to Brown on the Towne, the illegitimate, bastard brain child of two friends who enjoy their eats and surroundings. We are Homer and Jordan. Our mission is to document our experience of ethnic eateries in the Omaha area. We do not claim to be politically, mathematically or chemically correct.

Leave us a comment or email us at brownonthetowne@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The end of another hiatus?

Hey pals,

So it seems BOTT may be fast approaching the end of yet another hiatus. If you have forgotten, we started this adventure back in November 2007. We then took year long breaks between December 2007 and December 2008, and yet again between February 2009 and February 2010. We've been on this current break for almost a year.

I am happy to report that Homero and I are all grown up now. H is a lawyer and I'm, hmmm... I dunno how to describe my job... I am no longer in grad school. Whoo! To tell you the truth, I am still figuring out how to do this "free time" thing again. I'm working on a list of activities to occupy my time.

Right now I am in my hotel room in Des Moines, IA. I've got a meeting to attend here in the AM, and while I'd rather be driving to Illinois right now to hunt down some Blatz Beer, I am instead taking a minute to report on a minor food adventure. I'm in a different town for a few, so why not?

After sifting through some helpful suggestions from some friends, I decided on Vietnamese food. It's freaking cold and all I could think of was getting some delicious, steaming hot pho (pronounced 'fuh'). For those unfamiliar, pho is (in my opinion) the all-time greatest of the noodle soup species. You can read more about pho here. For me, the broth has no taste equal. I really don't even have a clue as to how to describe it. It's just so good. I asked a Des Moines resident, and fellow Filipino, about some Vietnamese places to hit up. I went to a place called 'A Dong'.

Yeah, yeah... If Homer we're here, right now you would be reading the obligatory Brown on the Towne dick joke.

Their pho was good, but I've had better. Still very satisfying. I give them props for providing some very fresh thai basil, cilantro and bean sprouts to get thrown into the soup. I was more impressed by their ca phe sua da, otherwise known as Vietnamese iced coffee. I love this stuff. It's like the most pleasant feeling kick to face, if there ever was one. Take STRONG espresso, condensed milk and chicory, then throw it over ice.

If you're back in Omaha, grab a bowl of pho and ca phe sua da at the Vietnamese Asian restaurant on 72nd and Jones. You will not be disappointed.

I've stopped by some other places back in Omaha as a food blog warm up. Check back here for some quick thoughts on Beyond BBQ and Maru Korean Grill. Both good. Even better with good company. I have a feeling more posts will be headed your way as well.

Stay warm out there.

-j

No comments: