Welcome to Brown on the Towne, the illegitimate, bastard brain child of two friends who enjoy their eats and surroundings. We are Homer and Jordan. Our mission is to document our experience of ethnic eateries in the Omaha area. We do not claim to be politically, mathematically or chemically correct.

Leave us a comment or email us at brownonthetowne@gmail.com

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Secret Asian Man II

Happy Día de los Burrachos readers!!!!!!

I figured some of you (Debbie Z.) are anxiously awaiting the posting of our adventures at Guacamaya. Patience friends, your perseverance in the face of growing Brown on the Towne induced anxiety will soon pay off.

So to whet your appetite I am posting some of my latest reconnaissance. Enjoy!

Secret Asian Man II


Grand Fortune (Chinese/Dim Sum)
17330 W Center Rd # 106
(402) 697-9888

Those of you that know me well might ask, "What the hell is Jordan doing going west of 72nd street?!?!?!" That is a valid question. I enjoy most of my existence on the east side of town, but there are some worthy reasons to travel into the treacherous beyond, Grand Fortune's dim sum being one of them. For those of you unfamiliar, dim sum is the name for a Chinese cuisine involving a wide range of light dishes usually served in a small steamer basket or on a small plate. Usually you get a 3 or 4 pieces per plate/steamer basket. The opportunity to sample a great number of different dumplings, buns, pancakes makes this a fun dining experience.

I went there a few weeks back with friends Mary, Hal and Pete. We ordered in three rounds, each time we went for something different. We had steamed pork buns (amazing), shrimp and cilantro dumplings (amazing), leek buns (amazing), sui mai (amazing), turnip pancakes (amazing) and whole bunch of other stuff. All in all an excellent lunch. Between the four of us, around 12 different orders, our bill came to $40. Again, excellent lunch.

Dim sum is usually only served in the mornings and during lunch time, so don't expect to go around dinner and get some tasty treats like those you're staring at... there's drool on your shirt..

Stay tuned for more from this place. Homer and I are big fans.



Mother India (Tandoori)
3572 Leavenworth St.
(402)763-2880

Anyone remember Z's corner store on 36th and Leavenworth?? When I lived down on Leavenworth, Z's was a local destination for all things booze and tobacco. Since then the little cube of a building has been La Tia's Tamales and El Rebaño. A while back I heard rumors of an Indian restaurant opening in that spot. Me = excited. The idea of a small Indian restaurant close to work and home was titillating. Thanks to Ali, Nakiea and Amber for reporting about their experiences there. So I chose to check it out.

I had some vegetable samosas. Excellent! I am kicking myself for not asking if they were homemade. From the taste... light and crispy outer shells, warm and nicely spiced innards...
they gotta be homemade. I just wanted confirmation.

I ordered the Chana Masala. It consisted of chick peas, tomatoes, onion, garlic, spices and maybe ghee and ginger. Oh man, this stuff was great. Chick peas are a personal favorite of mine. You could give me a can of those while you rob me blind and I wouldn't care. The rice was decent, not great, but I would recommend trying this place out. I was super pleased with the Chana Masala.

Prices are very affordable. Most of the main dishes cost between $6 - $10. My total cost plus appetizer was $11. Not bad for tasty Indian!

So that's it for now. Keep sending us suggestions and LEAVE COMMENTS on the blog. Tell us about your experiences of any of the places you try. THIS IS KEY TO OUR STRATEGIC PLAN. So do it. Guacamaya is coming soon.


I will leave you with Rootbeer Floats from the Soda Fountain at the Durham Western Heritage Museum. You may drool now...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM anxiously awaiting the Guaca Maya report - mostly for my photo with Prince. :)

Anonymous said...

I grew up with "give us this day our daily bread," so bread usually makes or breaks it for me. The naan at Mother India kinda sucked, but I don't care. I'm going back. The chicken tikka was good and I really want the chicken curry because I asked the dude at the other table and he said it was delicious. Price may be coloring my accolades...but at least they didn't give me frozen vegeables like Indian Oven.

Jordan said...

I've gone back for the chicken curry and it was fantastic.

Anonymous said...

I'm STILL waiting... ;)